- Learning and Outcomes
- Employability and Careers
- Careers Curriculum Statement for Mount Tamar
- Art and Design
Art and Design
ART AND DESIGN BTEC LEVEL 1 / 2 CERTIFICATE / DIPLOMA
BTEC Level 1 qualifications are designed to enhance learner’s work and life skills in a range of vocational contexts. This course builds on the knowledge and skills from the Art National Curriculum key stage 3 syllabus, allowing students to be creative and to pick areas of interest in which to specialise their knowledge further. It also allows learners to extend their programme of study where they can go on to study GCSEs, A-levels, Diplomas or apprenticeships.
Students who opt for this exciting subject will have the opportunity to:
1. Engage in learning which is relevant, and provide opportunities to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for working life.
2. Increase knowledge in skills in a range of areas including: 2D and 3D, drawing, painting, printmaking, mixed media, craft and fine art.
3. These units of work are flexible and you will have the ability to specialise in your chosen area.
4. Gain knowledge of other artists both past and present.
5. Investigate primary and secondary sources, including trips to museums and exhibits.
6. Develop self-management skills, creative thinking and evaluative skills.
Our learners are encouraged to use initiative and motivation for all their individual project work. Students have the opportunity to use a range of tools and work with a range of
At a glance
Students will learn about formal elements of Art. They will learn and develop skills for planning ideas from a range of sources. They will be encouraged to be creative in the way in which they present their ideas. Discussing and contributing ideas as well as giving opinions about their work will be encouraged. As well as producing work, they will develop self- management skills and learn about risks and hazards in the work place.
This course is practically based and involves a hands-on approach to learning. Work from each unit is collected and presented for submission at stages over the year.
The BTEC level 1 Diploma involves the following:
Entry Level award (6 credits)
Level 1 award (7 credits)
Level 1 certificate (13 credits)
These are completed before achieving the Diploma. This enables students to take on as much or as little as they choose.
If you are interested in Art and Design there is a range of job opportunities including:
“I enjoy Art sessions. It gives me time to express the things that I like and are important to me.”
“I didn’t think I would like trying out new materials as I like drawing but I have learnt about textiles and clay and now can’t wait to learn about printing.”
You could take this course to prepare for advanced level courses such as GCSE or A/AS level in Art and Design.
With further training you could go into a job related to the following industries: Graphic design, architecture, Product design, teaching, interior design, Marketing.